We’re looking for a sales ninja to help us grow!
We’re looking for a customer oriented Sales Lead who is passionate about storytelling for a better world.
The position is a part-time fixed-term contract (while our current sales ninja Armand is on a sabbatical rock-climbing and meditating across the globe), for an initial period of 3 months, with the option to extend to 5 and potentially beyond. It will be initially be 3 days/week, then potentially 4 days/week.
You will be part of the Sales working group within Digital Storytellers, and be a crucial part of our organisation and team’s ability to thrive.
About Digital Storytellers:
Digital Storytellers is a purpose-driven film-making agency. We craft impactful stories with positive narratives to make a difference in the world.
Our mission is to help create a better narrative for the world, through telling stories that matter, and sharing our knowledge and resources to empower a wider community of storytellers.
Our core activities are film production, storytelling and filmmaking workshops for individuals and organisations and graphic recording/scribing.
We are a certified B-Corporation.
Some of the benefits of working with us include:
- The fulfillment of contributing to a meaningful purpose and serving amazing organisations and projects
- A high-trust, human-centric, soulful workplace with an outstanding culture of care and recognition of people as whole-beings. You are free to show up as yourself.
- Freedom, flexibility and autonomy to self-manage (with responsibility and accountability required for this to work, of course), and opportunities to take initiative, lead and drive ideas
- Flexible, virtual work policies
- You’ll be encouraged and supported to develop & express your personal purpose, gifts, talents where possible
- Enjoy a culture of self-development, growth & continuous learning
- Community minded: value our connections with communities (Enspiral, Purpose, Social Enterprise)
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Learn more at: www.digitalstorytellers.com.au
About the Sales Lead role
Digital Storytellers has existed for five years. We’ve crossed the start up stage, and established our brand in Australia. The nature of film-making and storytelling means our work has traveled, so we’ve attracted a range of clients from various social and environmental impact sectors. Lastly, we’re starting to invest more in telling our own story (ie marketing) as well. Our clients have important, purposeful stories that need to be told, we are here to help them get their stories out there through the medium of film.
Your role will be to nurture these potential clients, develop storytelling solutions for their needs, and deliver a proposal that moves them to the next stage. Often you will be the first person from our team to interact with a client, so a good degree of soft skills are required: listening, empathy and care are all essential for that first impression.
Our current product offerings include digital storytelling strategy, video storytelling, mobile film-making training workshops (called “Stories For Impact”) by our team and graphic recording (also known as live scribing). We also provide graphic design and website development service via subcontracting. Once the client has expressed serious interest, it will be your job will be to provide all the logistical, communication and experiential aspects of the sales process, and eventually hand that over to our production team for them to deliver a great film or digital service.
- Work closely with your Sales working group team members, to meet our company’s monthly and annual sales goals
- Responding to enquiries via email and phone
- Budgeting and proposal writing
- Reporting on Sales Working Group goals and progress, and how we’re meeting financial targets
- As a role that is in direct contact with our customers and market, help us understand how we could better serve our customers and the impact/purpose community via customer insights, and understanding their needs, pains and gains
- Update Financial Apps to reflect current performance and KPIs
Additional Organisation Responsibilities
- Participate in weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual team rhythms – check-ins, retrospectives, quarterly check-ins, annual retreat
- Participate in the co-creation and evolution of organisation culture and product offerings
- Work closely with Marketing Working Group to improve our ability to increasingly service the impact/purpose community, in the breadth, depth and quality of our offerings
- After on-boarding, contribute to developing and implementing organisation purpose, vision, mission, goals and strategies
The right person will have:
Skills & experience:
- Excellent writing skills, people skills and phone manner
- Has ideally several years of sales experience and knowledge in converting and closing sales (no hard sell)
- Comfortable with spreadsheets and budgeting, and has attention to detail
- Familiarity with Xero and ReceiptBank considered a plus
- Has experience in service-based business, experience with a film production agency a plus
- A degree in a relevant field considered a plus
- A background or education in business will be a plus
You’re also someone who…
- Aligns with our values, which you can check out here
- Has an ability to self-manage and work to designated deadlines (mandatory)
- Is tech-savvy. Comfortable with virtual working (Slack, Gmail)
- Finds satisfaction in being of service, helping uncover customer needs and finding the right solution for them
- Is ambitious, goal-oriented and driven. Meeting goals gives you a sense of satisfaction.
- Has the ability to self-manage, and set own goals in alignment with organisational and working group goals
- Can contribute meaningfully to goal setting for the organising and your Sales working group
- Is comfortable with a distributed leadership culture, and will contribute, share responsibility and leadership, and be collaborative. In a distributed leadership culture, “no one leads all the time, and everyone leads some of the time”
- Is entrepreneurial, innovative and responsive to customer/market needs
- Ideal but not required – has experience in working with DSLR cameras, video editing or any other activities related to film production
- In the beginning, you’ll also be provided on-boarding support, and be required to have more face-to-face contact at our office in Sydney.
- We prefer someone based in Sydney but would consider stellar applicants from Melbourne and have a culture that supports remote work. We have one team member based in Melbourne as well.
- For the first month, it will be a 3 day/week arrangement, where you work alongside Armand and be supported in learning our processes as part of on-boarding.
- Following that, there is a potential to increase to 4-day/week arrangement. Armand will be on leave and we expect you would be comfortable holding the fort on your own by then.
- Digital Storytellers is a Teal organisation, which means we practice flat leadership and self-management. This means that this role description is a starting point and we actively encourage you to build and develop a role that serves your passions and interests! For example, if you have an interest in film production there are opportunities to develop that alongside your core activities.
And the $?
- The annual salary we are considering for this position is pro rata of $58,000 p/a (which is $34,800 @ 3-days/week) gross + 9.5% superannuation, and includes four weeks leave p/a (again pro rata for 3-days/week).
- We are open to revising the proposed salary commensurate with your experience.
Interested? Send through the following:
- Submit a short video (under 2 minutes) introducing yourself, why you believe in the power of storytelling to change the world and why you’d like to join the team. A handheld selfie-video filmed on your phone is ABSOLUTELY fine. This is not about your filmmaking abilities (we’ve got that covered!), but about getting a sense of who you are. This can be uploaded as password protected or link-only video on the platform of your choice and sent through to us as a link.
- Any other documents or links you feel are relevant e.g. CV, portfolio, etc .
- Please include two references
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- From there, we’ll contact you to let you know if we’d like to proceed with an interview!
Applications close COB Monday, 3rd June 2019
We welcome applications from LGBTI, Aboriginal and migrant / CALD communities.